Sunday, June 14, 2009

Gov't Seizes Control of Tobacco Industry

The U.S. federal government massively increased its power yet again last week: The Senate passed a bill on June 11 that put the tobacco industry under the regulation of the Food and Drug Administration. The House passed a similar bill in April.

As Ron Paul points out in this video clip, this bill that has effectively given the FDA control over the tobacco industry will eventually result in prohibition and thus the emergence of a black market in tobacco.

This is yet another dark day for capitalism and freedom in America. What leaves me flabbergasted is the fact that the nationalization (either direct or indirect) of so many industries and facets of our lives by our federal government is becoming a normal daily occurrence that no longer seems to alarm people or put them in a defensive mode. It's just... normal now.

What the hell has happened to this country and the people who inhabit it? The body remains, but the spirit has left it.

1 comment:

  1. Scott, I'm equally flabbergasted by the normalization of nationalization. Your sentiments are a mirror image of my own. Today I watched President Obama give a speech to the American Medical Association regarding his plan to further nationalize healthcare. As per his custom, he mentioned how we'll "all have to make sacrifices" to produce a better healthcare system. As I stood in my kitchen, listening to his words and the resultant cheering from his audience, I felt a wave of depression wash over me.

    Are our countrymen really that dependent on the government? How disheartening, how utterly tragic. What's worse, they're taking the rest of us down with them. Obama calls it "shared responsibility." I call it tyranny.

    ReplyDelete